Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Intro: Welcome to our blog

I seem to have been given a talent to be able to endure running long distances. Up to this point I have never used that talent to help or better someone else, so I see this as the perfect opportunity to do so. Starting early summer I will do some all night training runs on the weekend and just try and increase what I do for 100 mile race preparation. My biggest fear is over training and hurting myself. So I will need to find that limit my body can endure in training and not exceed it. As for the event itself, unless both of my legs break in half; I will finish! Just running a marathon or even 100miles would not be truly sacrificing on my part, seeing that I have already done those things. Running this type of distance not only gets the attention of others, but will be the hardest thing I have ever done. There is absolutely no words to describe how awesome a Wounded Warrior is to me. Everyone who serves in the military sacrifices, but to come back home wounded or permanently injured in whatever way, has to be the ultimate sacrifice of the living. I feel that it is this country's job to honor these men and women. We have become so side tracked in this nation with everything else going on, you never hear about the Warriors anymore. We talk about the war and whether its right or wrong or the economy,healthcare, etc. The Wounded Warriors coming home get little to no attention. The harsh reality is we have men and women sitting at home right now that need us and need to know that we have not forgotten, nor will we ever forget the sacrifice they have made. My motivation is simply knowing that the money raised will go to help men and women from all branches of the military. Knowing the Wounded Warrior Project goes to the hospitals and see's these Warriors and offers assistance where they can. There is nothing worse than an individual sitting in a hospital room all alone after being injured in combat, we need to be there for them through the entire process and thats what Wounded Warrior Project does. Hopefully those who do not understand the hardships Wounded Warriors go through after they get home will be able to have a better understanding. These men and women are our responsibility. My biggest fear is that they will be forgotten and I am going to do my part to make sure this does not happen.
To date,over 34,000 members of our nation’s armed forces have been physically wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan. Studies estimate that more than 300,000 will suffer from the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury. These injuries are often devastating, leaving a formerly active young man or woman unable to care for themselves. While grateful for their return, the round-the-clock care required to treat these wounded warriors often falls on their families, giving caregivers no choice but to leave their jobs and forego healthcare of their own.
Tens of thousands of troops have been wounded in recent conflicts, many of them suffering traumatic brain injuries, amputations, and severe burns. The mission of Wounded Warrior Project is to honor and empower wounded warriors. WWP provides unique and direct programs and services that ease the burdens of the wounded and their families, aid in the recovery process, and aid in the transition back to civilian life.
Honoring the sacrifice of the those that have given so much. Please help me reach my goal of $25,000 for the Wounded Warriors of America.
At 2200 hours on Thursday September 9th, 2010, starting at the Nebraska Border and ending at the Kansas-Oklahoma border; Tony Clark will run across Kansas, along US Route 81 in 60 hours. Tony will be assisted with a rolling aid station and by local law enforcement. We will update training and progress of our mission regularly. Please show your support. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment