Monday, June 21, 2010

This Saturdays Track Run

Well, looking at the extended forecast this week it looks like we may be close to 100 degrees on Saturday. Obviously I would love a huge turnout to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project, but not at the expense of someones health and safety. If you plan on coming out, come out prepared! We will have water there about 7:30 or so, On the Border is going to let us fill jugs with ice and water but they do not open until 7am on Saturday. So the first hour you will need to be self sufficient. I have had many questions about the direction we will be going on the track. For those of you running any long distance I strongly advise you to change up directions at some point. I will be running one mile clockwise and then one mile counter clockwise. Running in circles for multiple hours the same direction is a receipt for an over use injury.
We will have a couple of white pop up shelters, the restrooms will be open and we will try to utilize what shade there is out there. Take into consideration that this is a track and will be wide open! If you are not an experienced runner or have not trained for multiple hours in the heat, please come out early for your own safety. I will be starting at 6am sharp and ending at exactly 3pm. As I have said before this is going to be a heat training run for me, so please forgive me if I do not have a long conversation with any of you during the 9 hours, before and after I will chat all you want. After the first 3 hours or so I will be focusing on what a lot of ultrarunners call runwalking. I will run for 20mins or so and then powerwalk for a minute or two. It is not going to be possible for me to run the entire 224 miles across Kansas, there will be quite a bit of power walking towards the end I am sure. It may sound funny to some of you but practicing your powerwalking is actually very beneficial. For people who do not powerwalk regularly it can be just as challenging as running, you walk at such a pace you do not allow your body to completely cool down or relax. This is usually utilized in the later stages of most ultramarathons by those of us humans who cannot physically run the entire 100miles. I used this strategy at the Rocky Raccoon 100 mile run this past February and it turned out to be the best thing I ever did!!!
Please if you have any questions call me or e-mail me. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment